Friday, May 13, 2016

vendetta

1 1/2 oz Blanco Tequila (Espolon)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Orange Juice
1/4 oz Vanilla Syrup
1/4 oz Pimento Dram (St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram)
1/4 oz Simple Syrup (not in original recipe, my addition)
1 dash Aromatic Bitters (Angostura)
8 drop Herbsaint (Pernod Absinthe)

Blend with 6 oz crushed ice (shake with ice and strain over crushed ice). Garnish with a lime wheel and I added freshly grated nutmeg to this.

A few Thursdays ago, Craig Herman a/k/a Colonel Tiki posted about a drink that he created at a Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night back in 2010. The theme was rum-less Tiki, and Craig mentioned that his Vendetta from 6 years ago was a tequila version of Three Dots & A Dash. I replied that I was going to make it later that evening but that it reminded me of a cinnamon-less Nui Nui. This also cued me into the fact that I had never written about a Nui Nui, and I took care of that the following evening.
The Vendetta gave forth a nutmeg and lime nose. Next, the sip was rather citrussy with lime and orange notes, and the swallow was tequila spiced with vanilla, allspice, and anise. Overall, it was a tequila drink that would not be out of place on either a Tiki menu or at a Cinco de Mayo celebration.

No comments: