Sunday, January 1, 2017

mackay

2/3 Brandy (1 1/2 oz Camus VS)
2 dash Dry Vermouth (1 oz La Quintinye)
1 dash Cassis (3/8 oz Massenez)
1 dash Absinthe (1/8 oz Butterfly)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
After my Sunday work shift two weeks ago, I turned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for nightcap inspiration. In the brandy section, I happened upon the MacKay and I was reminded of how well cassis and absinthe pair such as in the Br'er Rabbit. Once prepared, the MacKay showcased a dark berry aroma with anise notes. Next, a dark fruit sip gave way to Cognac, tart berry, anise, and light herbal flavors on the swallow. Overall, the pairing of a cassis and absinthe here reminded me of the Improved style of cocktail with the crème de cassis filling in somewhat for the Maraschino.

No comments: