Friday, January 20, 2017

nordic toddy

1 oz Baska Snaps Malort
1 oz Old Ipswich Tavern Style Rum
1/2 oz Grade A Molasses
1/2 oz Demerara Syrup

Build in a pre-heated ~8 oz mug. Top with 4-5 oz boiling water, stir to mix, and garnish with a floated star anise pod.
My drink of the day two Fridays ago was a riff on Jerry Thomas' 1862 Black Stripe recipe that was originally two ounces Santa Cruz rum and a tablespoon of molasses. Thomas' The Bartender's Guide gave the option of serving the drink with shaved ice or filling the tumbler with boiling water and garnishing with nutmeg. I took to the hot path as I did with my apple brandy riff the Black Limbertwig Toddy, and I split the original's rum with an equal portion of Malort. To balance the Malort's bitterness, I added demerara syrup to the mix, and I changed the garnish to a floated star anise pod instead of the nutmeg. One comment was that the combination reminded them of salted black licorice with its savory herbal essence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed this one as the drink of the day, but one of your colleagues made it for me when I inquired about the hot buttered rum (which I was disappointed to hear is not on the menu this winter). It was good!