Thursday, January 5, 2017

the silent x

1 1/2 oz Lustau Amontillado Sherry
3/4 oz Del Maguey Mezcal Vida
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1/4 oz Agave Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a tall glass, fill with crushed ice, garnish with 7 dash Regan's Orange Bitters and an orange twist, and add a straw.
After my shift two Thursdays ago, it was early enough to make it over to the Automatic where I found a seat in front of bartender Pam Maguire. For a first drink, I asked Pam for the Silent X that she attributed to Jordan Runion. Given the menu description, I was expecting more of a mezcal-forward up drink; instead, I was pleasantly surprised that it was more of a smoky Sherry Cobbler in style. Once prepared, the Silent X greeted the nose with an orange aroma from the bitters and twist oils. Next, a grape and citrus sip gave way to nutty sherry, vegetal agave, and cinnamon on the swallow with a lingering smoke finish.

No comments: