Friday, January 6, 2017

black flip

2 oz Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (Stone Xocoveza Stout)
1 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1/2 oz Demerara Syrup
1 Whole Egg

Swirl to de-gas the beer, shake once without ice and once with ice, strain into a Fizz glass (rocks glass), and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

Two Fridays ago, I was opening a stout beer, so I saved some to make Jim Meehan's circa 2007 Black Flip from the P.D.T. Cocktail Book. I had been kicking myself when I had spotted the recipe a few days ago, for I had just unknowingly drank the one Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout that I had bought; instead, I made this recipe with a different dark beer in my refrigerator. Meehan created this recipe after being inspired by Wayne Curtis' chapter on Flips in And A Bottle Of Rum. While I have had other dark beer Flips such as the Black Cadillac, Rumbustion Flip, and Breakfast of Champions, I still felt it was important to try the drink that pre-dated all of them by a few years or more. Moreover, the recipe reminded me of Meehan's Great Pumpkin which is an epic autumnal beer-egg drink.
The Black Flip shared a nutmeg aroma with dark notes from either the beer or the black strap rum. Next, a creamy caramel sip gave way to molasses, coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla notes on the swallow.

No comments: