Tuesday, September 4, 2018

wavecrasher

2 oz Don Papa Rum
1/2 oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
3 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Galliano
3/4 oz Simple Syrup

Blend with 8 oz crushed ice, pour into a glass, and garnish with a pineapple wedge, lime wheel, and drops of both Angostura and Peychaud's Bitters. And a paper flamingo if available.
Two Tuesdays ago was the USBG Boston's annual "pool party," and this year instead of taking over a pool at a condo complex or other, we held it at a member's house out in Winthrop located half a block from the beach (also known as the large pool with sharks). After the inaugural round of blender drinks, I was nominated to craft the next round. While there were plenty of donated spirits, I had to search out modifiers. When I spotted the long, weapon-like Galliano bottle in a crate off to the side, I knew that was the direction to go in. After spying the pineapple juice and the blackstrap rum, I decided on working the Galliano into a Jungle Bird/Pago Pago-like structure. Galliano with its elegant vanilla and star anise notes has found its way into classic Tiki drinks like the Sundowner and more modern ones like the Maitalia, and the name Sundowner made me call this one the Winthrop Wavecrasher at first before I shorted it down to merely the Wavecrasher. I later realized that I had crafted something similar to the Barracuda with extra pineapple juice in place of that 1970s drink's sparkling wine.

No comments: