Thursday, December 31, 2020

atta girl

1 1/2 oz Gin (Beefeater)
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
1/4 oz Grenadine

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I spotted a reference to the Dickensian Villain, and I recalled how well Fernet Branca and grenadine paired there and in the Jim Rose and Noble. The ingredient duo made me think of two gin drinks from the Savoy Cocktail Book, namely the Hanky Panky with Fernet and the Atta Boy with grenadine, and I wanted to see what a mash up would yield.
For a name, I figured that it ought to be a tribute to the Hanky Panky creator, Ada Coleman, so I dubbed this one the Atta Girl. Once prepared, it donated an orange, fruity, and mint aroma to the nose. Next, berry and grape on the sip transferred into gin and red fruit on the swallow with a bitter gentian and menthol finish.

No comments: