Monday, April 11, 2022

dark house

1 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
1 oz Aquavit (Linie)
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Lacuesta Rojo)
1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a flamed orange twist (unflamed).
Two Mondays ago, I was perusing the Kindred Cocktails database for aquavit drinks to utilize my new bottle of Linie when I spied the Dark House by Ken Arbuckle at The Doheny in Los Angeles circa 2009. I was lured in for aquavit and apple brandy have worked well in recipes like the Bayeux Cocktail. I wish that I had checked my blog, as this recipe is identical to Morgenthaler's Norwegian Wood save for this calling for a flamed orange twist instead of a regular lemon one. Regardless, in the glass, the Dark House met the nose with an orange, apple, and caraway aroma. Next, the vermouth's grape filled the sip, and the swallow came through with apple, caraway, herbal, and clove flavors on the swallow.

No comments: