Saturday, April 2, 2022

midnight to midnight

3/4 oz Genever (Bols)
3/4 oz Batavia Arrack
1 oz Cardamaro
1/2 oz Benedictine
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Mole Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Saturdays ago, one of my fellow bartenders at Drink made the Midnight Mass from Death & Co. for a guest, and I became curious about the combination of Cardamaro and Benedictine. After having the Wild Card two nights before, the Genever-Cardamaro duo was on my mind, and I decided to split the spirit with Batavia Arrack as I had done in the Dutch Hand after experiencing the two in recipes like the Double Dutch and Weirding Way. For a name, I paid tribute to the Midnight Mass inspiration and dubbed it Midnight to Midnight after a Psychedelic Furs album.
Midnight to Midnight presented an orange and malty bouquet to the senses. Next, grape, malty, and caramel notes on the sip progressed into earthy, malty, and herbal flavors with a clove, allspice, and chocolate finish.

No comments: