Friday, January 20, 2023

prospect park sour

2 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Orange Juice
1/4 oz Maple Syrup
1/4 oz Luxardo Amaro Abano

Shake with ice, strain into a Sour glass (coupe), and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I pulled my copy of Carey Jones' Brooklyn Bartender off the shelf to see if there was a glossed-over gem. There, I uncovered the Prospect Park Sour by Brian Farran at Clover Club that utilized a more recent addition to my liquor shelves, Amaro Abano, which is why I had not made it before. Overall, its structure reminded me of a Ward 8 with maple-Abano in place of the classic's grenadine moreso than Eastern Standard's similarly named Prospect Park. Once prepared, it donated an orange oil over caramel-maple aroma to the nose. Next, caramel and citrus notes on the sip gave way to rye, maple, and herbal flavors on the swallow with a lemon and pine finish.

No comments: