Wednesday, January 18, 2023

two gents

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse)
3/4 oz Cynar
3/4 oz Amaro CioCiaro
3 dash Bitters (Angostura)

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, my new bottle of Amaro CioCiaro caught my eye, and I sought out a recipe to use it on ShakeStir's drink database. There, I spied the Two Gents from Caitlin Pfeiffer in Los Angeles in 2014; I recognized the name for the following year, I attended Camp Runamok (a/k/a Bourbon camp for bartenders) with her in Kentucky. Since Amaro CioCiaro is in the ballpark of Amer Picon, perhaps this would be similar to Ran Duan's Rock Beats Scissors at the Baldwin Bar and possibly the Bonsoir with a different aged spirit at Craigie on Main. Here, the Two Gents welcomed the nose with orange and caramel aromas. Next, caramel with orange notes on the sip led into rye, funky vegetal, caramel, orange, and clove flavors on the swallow.

No comments: