Sunday, January 22, 2023

pippin flip

1 1/2 oz Applejack (Laird's Bonded)
1/2 oz Amaro CioCiaro
3/4 oz Grenadine
1 Whole Egg

Shake one round without ice and one round with ice, strain into a glass, and garnish with freshly grated cinnamon.
Two Sundays ago, I was perusing the Bartender's Choice app when I saw a dessert drink called the Pippin Flip that sounded delightful. This creation by Juyoung Kang at the Dorsey in Las Vegas circa 2018 reminded me of Misty Kalkofen's Fort Washington Flip given the structure of apple brandy, whole egg, a syrup, and a liqueur. Here, instead of maple and Benedictine, it was grenadine and Amaro CioCiaro which is a bit like Amer Picon. That combination of grenadine and bitter orange liqueur can be seen in the Basque-derived Picon Punch, and Trader Vic utilized that combination in recipes like the Jayco. Moreover, it is one that I opted for in my French variation of the Ward 8 that I dubbed the 8th Arrondissement. In the glass, the Pippin Flip conjured up cinnamon and apple aromas to the nose. Next, a creamy pomegranate sip switched into apple and bitter orange-berry flavors on the swallow.

No comments: