Wednesday, March 8, 2023

the guadalajara

2 oz Reposado Tequila (Cimarron)
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz Agave Syrup 1:1
2 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters (Bitter Truth)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with orange oil from a twist. I did locate another source (James Teitelbaum's Destination Cocktails) that called for a grapefruit twist, but I opted for the garnish in Liquor.com.
Two Wednesdays ago, I spotted a Misty Kalkofen recipe on Kindred Cocktails that I had not tried before called the Guadalajara. I was able to read the defunct February 2011 Liquor.com article written by Wayne Curtis via the internet archives, and I decided to make this tequila Toronto of sorts that I estimate was invented circa 2009-10 at Drink. Once prepared, the Guadalajara greeted the nose with an orange, vegetal, and minty bouquet. Next, a caramel sip flowed into agave and bitter herbal flavors on the swallow with a chocolate and minty finish. Overall, it came across softer than a classic Toronto perhaps due to the agave nectar.

No comments: