Friday, March 10, 2023

without borders

3/4 oz Apple Brandy (Laird's Bonded)
3/4 oz Benedictine
3/4 oz Maraschino (Luxardo)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Saline Solution (1 pinch Salt)

Shake with ice, strain into a sugar-rimmed coupe glass (omit rim), and garnish with a lemon twist.
For a cocktail two Thursdays ago, I turned to a recipe that I had bookmarked from the January 2020 issue of Imbibe Magazine called Without Borders. The drink was created by Caleb James at Covina in Manhattan, and its spirit and citrus modified by Maraschino and Benedictine structure reminded me of Ted Kilgore's Revival. Once prepared, the Without Borders crossed over to the nose with lemon, apple, and nutty cherry aromas. Next, lime and apple notes on the sip gave way to apple, cherry, and herbal flavors on the swallow. Overall, the combination was delightful, but I am glad that I omitted the sugar rim for the balance was a touch sweet as expected.

No comments: