Sunday, April 9, 2023

jive turkey

3/4 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon (Evan Williams Bonded)
1/2 oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye
1/2 oz Old Overholt Rye (86°)
3/4 oz Amaro Ciociaro
3/4 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz St. Germain (St. Elder)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
Two Sundays ago, I returned to the first Death & Co. book to see if there were any recipes that I had missed. There, I spotted the Jive Turkey that called for Amaro Ciociaro that I only recently added to my shelves, so it was time to give this drink created by Jessica Gonzalez in 2009 a whirl. Overall, its structure with dry vermouth, St. Germain, a dark bitter orange liqueur, and Angostura Bitters reminded me of Leo Robitschek's Doyers Street but with three American whiskeys instead of one and a bit heavier on the amaro. Once prepared, the Jive Turkey summoned a rye, caramel, orange, and floral bouquet. Next, the caramel continued on into the sip where it was followed by whiskey and bitter dark orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: