Wednesday, April 19, 2023

dutch highlander

1 1/2 oz Blended Scotch (Cutty Sark Prohibition)
1/2 oz Batavia Arrack (von Oosten)
1/2 oz Benedictine
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I was scanning through the Difford's Guide database when I came across the Dutch Highlander by Jason Clapham at St. Edward's MCR at Oxford, England. It was a riff on Paul Harrington's 1990s Highlander with the addition of Batavia Arrack in the mix. Since Scotch and Batavia Arrack have paired well in drinks like My Triumphs, My Mistakes and Tall as a Tree and Twice as Shady, I was curious to give this drink a try. Here, it met the nose with lemon and herbal aromas. Next, caramel and malt on the sip led into Scotch melding into Batavia Arrack's funkiness followed by smoke and herbal elements on the swallow.

No comments: