Monday, April 24, 2023

atlas

1 oz Calvados or Applejack (Morin Selection)
1/2 oz Demerara 151 Rum (Plantation OFTD)
1/2 oz Cointreau
(1/8 oz 1:1 Demerara syrup added for my prefered balance)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Mondays ago, I was perusing Dave Stolte's Home Bar Basics and spotted the Atlas which he attributed to Marco's Liquors in Chicago during the 1940s. A web search brought up an eGullet thread that directed me to Trader Vic, and I was able to find it in Vic's 1948 Bartender's Guide. The recipe that I used was mostly from Vic with the lemon twist garnish idea from Stolte and the addition of simple syrup to my preferred balance. Stolte later chimed in on my Instagram post that he learned of this drink from Paul Harrington's 1998 book Cocktail: The Drinks Bible for the 21st Century. In addition, Eric Witz ellaborated on the Marco's Liquors reference with, "I'm guessing this is from Hyman Gale and Gerald Marco's cocktail book The How and When... Marco owned a couple liquor stores in Chicago and published the book", and I was able to confirm that with my copy of the 1940 tome.
The Atlas welcomed the senses with a lemon, apple, and dark rum aroma. Next, apple and caramel notes on the sip lifted up an apple, orange, caramel, and rum swallow.

No comments: