Friday, October 20, 2023

day old bread

1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey
1/2 oz Aquavit (Linie)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Cynar
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe rinsed with absinthe (Kübler).
Two Fridays ago, I was inspired to riff on Maks Pazuniak's 100 Year Old Cigar, and I swapped the dark rum accented by smoky Islay Scotch for a 3:1 rye whiskey to aquavit combination that I have used in drinks like Mockingbird, Wish Me Luck and was still fresh on my mind from having the Mergers & Acquisitions two weeks prior. The drink I dubbed Day Old Bread due to the rye and caraway notes began with anise, licorice, and herbal aromas. Next, a caramel-driven sip led into rye, caraway, herbal, and minty flavors on the swallow with a clove and caraway finish.

No comments: