Saturday, October 14, 2023

detroit daisy

2 oz Light Rum (Bacardi Cuatro)
1 oz Lime Juice (3/4 oz)
3/4 oz Grenadine
6-8 leaf mint

Shake with ice and double strain into a cocktail coupe. Madrusan's recipe recommended a lime wedge garnish for the Daiquiri parent recipe but I used a floated mint leaf.
Two Saturdays ago, I fired up the Bartender's Choice app and came across the Detroit Daisy as a Daiquiri variation with grenadine and mint that reminded me a little of the Clara Bow that I had made for a bar guest that week. The app cited Michael and Zara Madrusan's book A Spot at the Bar, so I transcribed the recipe from there but opted for the app's call for a decrease in lime juice. After I posted it, I asked Machael about its history, and he declared that he found it in the 1946 Stork Club Bar Book. I then pulled my copy off the shelves where I discover that it called for dark rum and served at the Stork Club in a Collins glass with crushed ice and garnished with a cherry and mint sprig. Here, the Detroit Daisy wafted to the nose with red berry, lime, and mint aromas. Next, lime and red fruit on the sip led to rum and mint flavors on the swallow with tart berry accents on the finish.

No comments: