Friday, September 14, 2012

haymaker

3/4 oz Maker's Mark Bourbon
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth
3/4 oz Triple Sec
3/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and pour into a rocks glass. Garnish with an orange twist and add straws.

Two Sundays ago, we paid a visit to Highland Kitchen where Will Quackenbush and Jimmy Lane were tending the bar. For a first cocktail, I was lured in by the drink of the day which was the Haymaker. When I asked Will about the history, he thought that the drink got entered into their cocktail book by way of the B Side Lounge. The research I did suggested that it was probably created during the B Side days and perhaps served there, but I found no evidence that the drink was created here in Boston. I was definitely drawn in to the drink for it reminded me of the Snake in the Grass from the Café Royal Cocktail Book except with Bourbon and lime instead of gin and lemon.
The orange twist's aroma prepared the mouth for a white wine and lime-orange sip where the orange predominated. The lime did appear on the swallow where it accented the Bourbon notes.

No comments: