Wednesday, April 3, 2013

white rene

1 1/2 oz Pisco (Macchu Pisco)
1/2 oz White Rum (Privateer)
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After having the Black Rene, I felt it was good but it could be improved. Taking Max Toste's conversion of the Black Devil into the White Devil for the Deep Ellum menu as inspiration, I set to work. In place of the brandy and aged rum, I swapped in pisco and white rum. I kept the Maraschino liqueur the same, as well as the only color in the drink -- the lime juice.
pisco rum lime cocktail
The White Rene had an interesting Maraschino-pisco funk to the nose, while on the tongue, it offered a lime sip with some cherry-like fruit notes. The swallow was mostly about the great pisco-Maraschino pairing that had worked well in Kevin Martin's Carnivale (a/k/a the Pisco Disco) with some rum flavors providing accent here. Overall, the White Rene was a definite improvement to my palate.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Drinking this right now. What an absolutely wonderful daiquiri variant! I know the Black Rene was the immediate inspiration, but this could also be thought of as a wonderful twist on a Hemmingway daiquiri. In any case, thanks for inventing the White Rene. I just got my first bottle of pisco and this will likely be a frequent go-to drink for the summer. Cheers!