Saturday, October 15, 2016

luau

3/4 oz Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
3/4 oz Appleton V/X Rum (El Dorado 5 Year)
3/4 oz El Dorado 15 Year Rum (Diplomatico Exclusiva)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup (omit, combined below)
1/4 oz Passion Fruit Purée (1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup)
1/4 oz Orgeat
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a rocks glass (Tiki mug), and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with an umbrella, lime wheel, and orange slice (umbrella, mint, nutmeg).
After my bar shift two Saturdays ago, I reached for my copy of the PDT Cocktail Book to see if there were any gems that I had previously passed over. The one that called out to me, the Luau, matched my desire for Tiki; I had probably skipped it the first few times for I was probably too particular about the specified rums. The recipe was crafted by Gerry Corcoran in 2009 as a riff on the Luau Grog from Jeff Berry's Sippin' Safari. After looking over the original drink, the Luau is definitely its own unique beast since the original is closer to a Navy Grog. Once prepared and garnished, the Luau offered a woody spice and mint from garnish substitutions. Next, a lime and caramel sip was joined by tropical notes from the passion fruit, and the swallow was a medley of dark and funky rum flavors along with passion fruit, nutty, and spice elements.

No comments: