Tuesday, December 27, 2016

letters of marque

1 oz Scarlet Ibis Rum (Privateer Navy Yard)
1 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
1/2 oz Galliano

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe or cocktail glass, and garnish with flamed orange oils from a twist (unflamed oils).

Two Tuesdays ago, I returned to Brad Parson's Amaro Book to make a recipe after having replenished my Cynar supply. The drink was the Letters of Marque by Jerry Slater of H. Harper Station in Atlanta, and the name refers to the government documents that authorize privateers to profit from the goods that they seize on the ocean. Since I did not have Scarlet Ibis Rum, I opted for another strong rum that I purchased on that recent shopping trip, namely Privateer's Navy Yard Rum which seemed rather fitting of a distillery name for this tipple.
The Letters of Marque shared an orange aroma from the twist oils that joined the caramel and star anise nose from the drink. Next, orange and caramel on the sip led into rum, vanilla, orange, herbal, and star anise on the swallow. Overall, the combination reminded me a bit of the Son of Man that opted for Calvados and Amaro Montenegro for the rum and curaçao.

No comments: