Tuesday, December 20, 2016

boss colada

1 oz Baska Snaps Malort (Jeppson's)
1/2 oz Angostura 7 Year Rum
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Orgeat

Shake with ice, strain into a Pilsner glass, and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wheel and 20 drops or 3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters (3 light dashes).

Two Tuesdays ago, I received Brad Parson's Amaro book, and I fell upon Nick Detrich's Boss Colada from Cane & Table. I had spotted this recipe on the web a few times, but I did not make it since I lacked the Bittermens-produced Malört at home despite having it at work and using it to great effect there in our Hot Buttered Malört. When I read the printed recipe, I remembered that I had a bottle of Jeppson's Malört gifted to me by Eric Witz, and I decided to give this amaro Colada a go by merging the book's recipe with ones I had spotted on the web.
The Boss Colada greeted the nose with lime and anise aromas. Next, the sip was a creamy pineapple and lime where the orgeat did a decent job simulating the mouthfeel of coconut cream. Finally, the swallow was a great combination of rum, nutty, bitter wormwood, and other herbal notes.

No comments: