Thursday, December 22, 2016

the studebaker

1 oz Bourbon (Old Granddad Bonded)
1 oz Lillet Blanc (Cocchi Americano)
2 tsp Lingonberry Syrup (1/3 oz Clear Creek Loganberry Liqueur)
2 dash Peach Bitters (Fee's)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon or orange twist (orange).

Two Thursdays ago, I reached for The Canon Cocktail Book after getting home from my work shift. There, I spotted the Studebaker that was named after the car favored by bootleggers during Prohibition; I was drawn to it as it called for lingonberry syrup and I confused it for loganberry which I have done once before in a Mikkeller beer. When I pulled out my bottle of Clear Creek Loganberry Liqueur, I was reminded of my blunder with these 'L'-berries. Since Canon is in Seattle, I associate it with the West Coast where the loganberry was created by an accidental crossing of blackberry and red raspberry cultivars. Lingonberries are rather popular in northern European countries like the Scandinavian ones, but now they are being grown in the Pacific Northwest which makes sense of why it appears in this recipe. Instead of aborting the recipe, I decided to go through with it using a different berry in the mix.
Instead of doubling (or one-and-a-halfing) the recipe, I made it in this below average size which allowed me to utilize my elegant vintage Heisey 3 oz cocktail glasses. Once prepared, the Studebaker generated an orange and berry aroma that led into a peachy wine flavor on the sip from the Cocchi Americano and perhaps the bitters. And the drink rounded off with Bourbon, berry, and peach notes on the swallow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On the way home from my work, I figured I would pop in to Ikea, if anywhere near me had Lingonberry syrup, it would be them, and they did.