Thursday, December 15, 2016

port royal

3/8 oz Wray & Nephew Overproof White Rum
3/8 oz Hamilton 86° Demerara Rum (El Dorado 12 Year)
3/4 oz Camus VS Cognac
3/4 oz Carpano Antica (Alessio Sweet Vermouth)
1 barspoon Giffard Banane du Bresil
2 dash Angostura Bitters
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain over a rocks glass with a big cube, and garnish with lime oil.
Two weeks ago, I participated in a Reddit /r/cocktails ask me anything with bartender Justin D'Olier of San Francisco's Pagan Idol. One of the Redditors asked Justin for their Port Royal recipe, for all they could find was Eastern Standard's riff on Don the Beachcombers 1930s Port au Prince by that name. Instead, this was the bar's Vieux Carré riff that subbed in banana liqueur and rums for the classic's Benedictine and whiskey. A few nights later, I decided to make it after my shift at work. The Pagan Idol's Port Royal showcased lime, caramel rum, and grape aromas that led into further grape and caramel notes on the sip. The swallow then offered funky rum, brandy, banana, and spice elements to take the Vieux Carré in a rather delightful tropical direction.

2 comments:

stgabe@reddit said...

And I was that Redditor. :-)

Still haven't had a chance to source the Banane du Bresil but I look forward to trying this.

stgabe@reddit said...

P.S. I'm a lurker who loves this site. Keep up the great work!