Saturday, January 25, 2020

who killed mr. moonlight?

1 oz Dark (or Aged) Jamaican Rum (Coruba)
1 oz Rhum Agricole Blanc (Clement Premiere Canne)
1 1/2 oz POG Juice (1/2 oz each Passion Fruit Nectar, Orange Juice, and Guava Juice)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Whip shake with crushed ice, pour into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

Two Saturdays ago after my bar shift, I decided to craft something tropical for the Instagram event Tiki the Snow Away. For inspiration, I started with Trader Sam's Nautilus especially its core of POG (passion fruit, orange, and guava) juice. More significant than the rum and citrus changes that I made were my alterations of the fruit and spice sweeteners; in place of the peach liqueur, I opted for Maraschino, and instead of the falernum, I went with a zesty ginger syrup. The Maraschino-ginger duo was one that stood out in the rye-based New Rider and that I had previously noted in One for Jimmy (with ginger beer instead of syrup). For a name, I dubbed this after a 1983 Bauhaus song "Who Killed Mr. Moonlight?"
The Who Killed Mr. Moonlight? wafted to the nose with woody nutmeg aromas. Next, lime and orange notes on the sip waned into rums, passion fruit, and guava flavors on the swallow with a delightful ginger-nutty cherry finish.

No comments: