Sunday, January 12, 2020

player piano

3/4 oz Neisson Rhum Agricole (Clement Premiere Canne)
3/4 oz Aperol
3/4 oz St. Germain (St. Elder)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
(2 dash Bittermens Tiki Bitters) (*)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
(*) Not listed in the 2011 article, but the drink creator thought that it might have had it (albeit 8+ years after the fact).

Two Sundays ago, I saw a reference to Colin Shearn's Transatlantic Giant, and besides putting an asterisk next to its entry in my current bartending moleskin, I decided to seek out another recipe of Colin's that I had not tried before. My web search led me to a 2011 Philadelphia Magazine article that offered up his Player Piano recipe that he crafted at the Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co. After I tagged Colin in my Instagram post, he replied that he was "pretty sure it also had some Bittermens Tiki Bitters. But not 100% -- it was a long time ago." Either way, I was curious to try this recipe especially since Aperol-elderflower drinks like the Dunniette and the Waltz of the Flowers have been rather tasty.
Without the bitters, the Player Piano unfurled a grapefruit, floral, and grassy aroma. Next, lime and orange mingled on the sip, and the swallow continued on with grassy funk, floral, and grapefruit notes.

No comments: