Wednesday, January 15, 2020

shipwrecked

1 oz Dark Rum (Plantation Original Dark)
1/2 oz Funky Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross)
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Zucca or Sfumato Rabarbaro (Sfumato)
1/2 oz Honey Syrup 1:1
2 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Absinthe (Butterfly)

Whip shake, pour into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with Tiki intent (citrus twists).

After writing up the Uzi Tenenbaum on the blog, I re-familiarized myself with Frank Cisneros' rye-based companion piece, the Margot Tenenbaum. From that, I extracted the rabarbaro, honey, and citrus trio and decided to construct a Tiki drink out of it two Wednesdays ago for the Instagram Tiki the Snow Away event. For a structure, I looked to the Jungle Bird and Test Pilot and also extracted their pineapple, bitters, and absinthe elements. The dark smokiness of Sfumato made me think of wreckage, and the name Shipwrecked popped into my head and stuck.
The Shipwrecked began with citrus oil over dark smoky aromas. Next, lime and honey crashed together on the sip, and the swallow drifted in with funky rum melding into smoky herbal flavors with a honey and spice finish.

No comments: