Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the bohannon

2 oz Plymouth Gin
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Swedish Punch (Housemade)
Stirred with ice and strained into a cocktail glass. A small shake of freshly ground pepper on top.

Last night, Andrea and I went to Allston, MA, to get dinner at Grasshopper. After dinner, we rounded the corner to go to Deep Ellum for drinks (and hot pretzels!). Since I had been on a big dark spirit kick lately, I decided to seek out something gin based. The Bohannon caught my eye on the menu, and Max Toste said that he was about to suggest that very drink. He explained that it was a house original made by one of the other bartenders at Deep Ellum.

The Swedish Punch did a great job of smoothing out the gap between the gin and the Chartreuse. Not that the gap needs to be filled in (see my love of the Alaska), but it did serve to make it a less sharp drink. Max makes his own Swedish Punch and tasting the botanical grits at the bottom of my glass reminded me that he used a bit of cardamom and nutmeg; prior to draining my drink, a fine layer of citrus bits could be seen floating on the surface. And looking back at my notes on the Hesitation cocktail, there is indeed lemon juice, cardamom, and nutmeg besides simple syrup and Batavia Arrack in Max's punch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a tasty drink. I used Bombay original instead of the Plymouth, and my homemade Swedish punsch.

This does taste similar to the Alaska to me.