Friday, June 29, 2012

april in paris

3/4 oz Ansac VS Cognac
3/4 oz Pierre Ferrand Curaçao
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a Champagne flute. Top with ~2 oz Louis Bouillot Blanc de Blancs Brut sparkling wine, and twist an orange peel over the top and discard.

Two Tuesdays ago, we paid a visit to the bar at Bergamot where bartender Paul Manzelli was at the stick. For a drink, I asked him for the April in Paris which he created using all French ingredients. The recipe appeared like a cross between a French 75 and a Sidecar, and Paul named it after a Count Basie jazz album.
The April in Paris presented a sweet orange and sparkling wine nose. A dry citrus sip led into the Cognac and Champagne-like notes on the swallow. Indeed, the drink was an elegant middle ground between those two classic cocktails.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

How's the Ferrand Curaçao? I've been tempted to pick some up, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

frederic said...

We bought it but haven't cleared our old curaçao bottle just yet to open the new one.

From my taste out, it is a bit fuller flavored than the Senior Curaçao that I use (perhaps due to the brandy base), but not as orange as many triple secs. Apparently, the dry in the name means that bartenders cannot use it the same for sweetness, but it is still plenty sweet. I have not experimented with recipes that I am familiar with balancewise to determine this.

Pierre Ferrand doesn't make bad products so I have a try, but alas, it is still sitting on my shelf waiting for the last 2-3 ounces or so of the older bottle to go.