Tuesday, June 19, 2012

brighton punch

3/4 oz Whiskey (Old Weller Antique Bourbon)
3/4 oz Cognac (Courvoisier VS)
3/4 oz Benedictine
Juice 1/2 Orange (1/2 oz)
Juice 1/2 Lemon (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass (Highball) filled with shaved ice (ice cubes). Top with soda water (1 1/2 oz), add a straw, and stir gently. I donated a wide orange twist to the recipe.

After the Thursday Drink Night, I decided to make the Brighton Punch that I had spotted in the Diner's Club Drink Book. I was drawn to the Punch for it had a New Orleans feel to it with the spirit combination reminding me of a Cocktail à la Louisiane and Vieux Carré hybrid with a classic Sling aesthetic.
The aroma at first was a combination of orange and whiskey notes that later gave way to Cognac and lemon ones. The carbonated citrus sip preceded the stronger whiskey than Cognac swallow. Finally, the swallow ended with a pleasing herbal Benedictine finish.

No comments: