Friday, June 15, 2012

quaker's cocktail

1/3 Brandy (1 oz Pedro Domecq Fundador Solera Reserva)
1/3 Rum (1 oz Plantation Barbados 5 Year)
1/6 Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1/6 Raspberry Syrup (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Coup de Roulis, the raspberry syrup I had been making by this recipe had cooled and was ready to use. Therefore, it was time to make the Quaker's Cocktail from Harry McElhone's 1927 Barflies and Cocktails.  I had been reminded of this drink as I was perusing the book two weeks before, and I might have made it instead of the Syncopation Cocktail that night had I not been out of raspberry syrup.
The Quaker's Cocktail displayed a brandy aroma along with caramel notes from the rum. A sweet lemon and caramel sip preceded the raspberry flavor that blended into the funky rum on the swallow. With the homemade raspberry syrup, this cocktail was surprisingly bright and delightful.

No comments: