Tuesday, January 12, 2016

lost lake

2 oz Appleton V/X Rum
3/4 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
1/4 oz Campari

Shake with 1 cup crushed ice and pour into a Tiki mug (shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, and fill with crushed ice). Garnish with a pineapple frond, pineapple slice, orange peel, and edible flowers (mint, orange slice, borage flowers, and Lost Lake swizzle stick).

A few Mondays ago, I began to flip through the latest issue of Imbibe Magazine where I came upon one of Paul McGee's Tiki recipes. This one was the eponymous recipe from Chicago's Lost Lake, and the combination reminded me of a Mary Pickford crossed with a Jungle Bird. Moreover, this recipe gave me a good excuse to garnish with the Lost Lake swizzle stick that I kept after McGee made me a Penang Afrididi #1 at an event at Tales of the Cocktail last summer.
The Lost Lake conjured mint, floral, and orange aromas by my choices of garnish. Next, lime, the rum's caramel, and passion fruit notes filled the sip, and the swallow gave forth rum, pineapple, and passion fruit flavors along with a funky Campari-Maraschino combination. Overall, there was too little pineapple and too much passion fruit to be close to a Jungle Bird, but it still fell firmly into that classic's realm of delicious yet complex Tiki recipes.

No comments: