Saturday, March 25, 2017

reiff

2/3 Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
1 dash Sherry (1/4 oz Lustau Pedro Ximenez)
1 dash Picon Bitters (1/4 oz Amer Picon)
1/3 Dry Vermouth (1 oz La Quntinye)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
After work on Saturday evening, I was definitely in the mood for a nightcap. My search led me to the American whiskey section Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933, and there I selected the Reiff that reminded me of a Brooklyn with sherry in place of the Maraschino. In the glass, the Reiff gave forth a malt, dark raisiny, and orange aroma. Next, the malt danced with grape notes on the sip, and the swallow shared rye flavors and a strange interplay between the Amer Picon and Pedro Ximenez sherry; this combination came across in a raisin-chocolate-orange with almost minty notes sort of way. In the end, I wondered if a nutty oloroso or amontillado would have been better here and could have brought this combination a bit closer to a Brooklyn in feel.

No comments: