Thursday, November 21, 2019

bay roc special

1 1/2 oz Gold Jamaican Rum (Appleton Signature)
1/2 oz Drambuie
1 oz Jasper's Basic Stock Mix.

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass (punch cup), and garnish with a cherry (omit)
(*) Jasper's Basic Stock Mix: Stir to dissolve 12 oz sugar in 16 oz lime juice. Add 1 oz Angostura Bitters and 1 heaping tsp freshly grated nutmeg. Refrigerate. Shake before using. I made this at a 1/8th scale which yielded around 3 oz.
When I returned home late from my work shift two Thursdays ago, I remembered that I still had enough Jasper's Basic Stock Mix to make another drink. Therefore, I reached for Jeff Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean for I recalled that there was another recipe besides the Jasper's Rum Punch in its pages. Beachbum sourced those drinks from Trader Vic's 1974 Rum Cookery & Drinkery book, and there, I saw an array of options and pointers like how Jasper LeFranc used Appleton Special for his call of light-colored Jamaican Rum. All of those recipes were created by LeFranc at Jamaica's Bay Roc Hotel, and I ended up selecting the Bay Roc Special that subbed some of the stock mix in the Rum Punch for Drambuie. Once prepared, the Bay Rock Special greeted the senses with an aged rum caramel, allspice, and honey nose. Next, lime and honey mingled on the sip, and the swallow showcased rum, Scotch, allspice, and clove flavors. Overall, the Drambuie pushed the balance to a slightly sweeter than desired level, but the addition of honey and Scotch notes was rather delightful.

No comments: