Wednesday, November 20, 2019

we don't need another hero

1/2 oz Reposado Tequila (Cimarron)
1/2 oz Mezcal (Fidencio)
1/2 oz Batavia Arrack (von Oosten)
1 1/2 oz Jasper's Basic Stock Mix (*)
1/4 oz Sfumato or Zucca Rabarbaro (Sfumato)
1/4 oz Green Chartreuse
Build in a metal cup, fill with crushed ice, swizzle to mix and chill, and garnish with a lime shell Thunderdome and freshly grated nutmeg.
(*) Jasper's Basic Stock Mix: Stir to dissolve 12 oz sugar in 16 oz lime juice. Add 1 oz Angostura Bitters and 1 heaping tsp freshly grated nutmeg. Refrigerate. Shake before using. I made this at a 1/8th scale which is good for around 2 drinks.

For Tina Turner's 80th birthday on November 26, Amanda Schuster made a call for tribute drinks for the Alcohol Professor site. Like I did for the Freddie Mercury cocktail biopic with the King of the Impossible, I honed in on movies from the 1980s -- namely, 1985's Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Tina Turner was such a strong character in that movie, and she also did parts of the soundtrack. Therefore, I selected her song "We Don't Need Another Hero" from her discography. Given the post-apocalyptic themes in that movie, I thought about darkness, roughness, smokiness, and spice. As a start, I considered the Jasper's Basic Stock Mix that I tested out in the Jasper's Rum Punch. In place of the Jamaican rum, I substituted the three spirits in Phil Ward's Airbag: reposado tequila, mezcal, and Batavia Arrack. And as an accent, I considered the duo of Rabarbaro and Green Chartreuse that was at the core of John Mayer's 11+2/12+1.
When I called dibs on the song title, Amanda was excited and became fixated on the serving style with advice like, "I think it needs something metallic for the movie theme. Or shiny, anyway!" I replied that I had a metal Julep cup but alas no glassware in chainmail. Then I remembered that I owned a chainmail bracelet that I had bought in the mid 90s, and I opted for a Moscow Mule mug instead of the Julep cup. I had already thought out the Thunderdome that I could carve from a citrus shell even before I had figured out the proper vessel. Once prepared, the We Don't Need Another Hero strapped in with nutmeg, spice, and lime aromas on the nose. Next, lime and dark roasty notes on the sip did battle with smoky, funky, vegetal, and herbaceous flavors on the swallow.

No comments: