Monday, March 9, 2020

3am on saint mark's place

1 oz Don Q Añejo Rum
1 oz Ilegal Mezcal
1/4 oz Maple Syrup
1 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass with ice, and garnish with an orange twist.

My adventures on Monday two weeks ago found me with a small window of time between my midday activities and an early evening seminar on sustainability at Pouring Ribbons in the East Village. Therefore, I headed down to the Village and began with a pair of beers at McSorley's (they will not sell odd numbers of beers and only have two offerings: dark and light lager). McSorley's has been open since 1843 with lots of history on the walls, ceilings, and lamp fixtures, and it was where my dad used to go when he attended Cooper Union in the early 1960s. With the other half of my spare time, I made my way over to the Holiday Cocktail Lounge on St. Mark's Place. There, I asked bartender Talia for the 3am on Saint Mark's Place that was subtitled, "AKA what to do when the animals escape the zoo. You have to get them back in the cage, it was your fault, and you left the damn thing open. Realistically, you have 2 options: chase them all, or entice with treats. As a helpful hint, we always prefer treats!"
The 3am on Saint Mark's Place greeted the senses with orange oil and a hint of smoke. Next, maple and caramel swirled on the sip, and the swallow shared rum, smoky vegetal, and chocolate flavors. Overall, a rather solid Old Fashioned riff.

No comments: