Monday, March 30, 2020

miles to go before i sleep

1 oz Bourbon (Old Grand-Dad Bonded)
1 oz Apple Brandy (Laird's Bonded)
3/4 oz Cardamaro
1/8 oz Green Chartreuse (1 bsp)
1/8 oz Maple Syrup (1 bsp)
2 dash Mole Bitters (Bittermens)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Given the Expense Account a few nights before, I was inspired to think about stirred drinks that utilized a hint of maple like the 3am on Saint Mark's Place and the Don Lockwood. Next, maple made me think of apples, and apple brandy linked in my mind with Cardamaro. The maple-Green Chartreuse pairing in the Handsome Jack and the Truce as well as splitting the base with Bourbon and accenting with chocolate bitters rounded out the concept. For a name, the apple and maple elements conjured up Robert Frost poems, and I dubbed this one the Miles to Go Before I Sleep.
The Miles to Go Before I Sleep traveled to the nose with orange, apple, and herbal aromas. Next, maple and grape held hands on the sip, and the swallow continued on with Bourbon, apple, and herbal flavors with a maple and chocolate finish.

No comments: