Tuesday, March 24, 2020

martinican

1/3 Daiquiri Rum (1 oz Privateer Tres Aromatique)
2/3 Martini Sweet Vermouth (2 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth)
3 dash Aperitivo Rossi (1 tsp Martini & Rossi Bitter)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, I reached for the 1937 Café Royal Cocktail Book where I spotted the Martinican. I figured that the Martini & Rossi Bitter that I scored at a Martini vermouth class last Fall might work well here, and the combination sort of reminded me of a less bitter Right Hand. I was intrigued how the drink was named after the term for a person from Martinique, but it called for a Daiquiri rum (think classic Cuban) instead of a rhum agricole. Once prepared with a slightly funky, overproof local white rum, the Martinican welcomed the nose with an orange, grape, and chocolate bouquet. Next, the vermouth's grape on the sip led into rum, grape, and bitter chocolate on the swallow with a strawberry finish.

No comments: