Monday, April 13, 2020

hop, skip, and jump

1 1/2 oz Appleton Rum (Appleton Signature) (*)
1 oz Pineapple Gomme Syrup (3/4 oz Pineapple Syrup)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1 tsp Becherovka (1/4 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
(*) Beckaly listed the recipe as "Jamaican rum" but later clarified that she uses the less funky Appleton brand.

Two Mondays ago, I decided to make a drink that I had heard on Joseph Borosoki's Ask the Bartender podcast on the Daiquiri (episode #2). Joseph interviewed five bartenders, and the only recipe that veered from the rum-sugar-lime trio was the Hop, Skip, and Jump from Beckaly Franks of the Pontiac in Hong Kong. Beckaly commented that the Becherovka here makes the flavors in the pineapple syrup pop, and I noted that it was also her choice of flavor accent in the I Love You Like a Punch in the Head.
So after the Daiquiri Time Out happy hour on Zoom (more on the DTO phenomenon), I utilized my extra lime juice to make this Daiquiri variation. Things began with an aged rum, pineapple, and clove aroma that preceded a lime and pineapple sip. Next, rum, pineapple, clove, cinnamon, and ginger flavors followed through on the swallow.

No comments: