Thursday, April 2, 2020

lumberjack negroni

1/2 oz Scotch (Royal Brackla 12 Year)
1/2 oz Apple Brandy (Laird's Bonded)
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Maple Syrup

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with ice, and garnish with an orange twist.

Inspired by the recent recipes with the touch of maple syrup theme, I wondered if it could be adapted to a Negroni. I have only ever tried Campari and maple together in the Cat's Pajamas, and my notes from 11 years ago did not support any synergy. Therefore, I switched the spirit to Scotch and apple brandy which would work great with the maple, and I cut back the vermouth's sweetness by switching to dry. For a name, the apple, maple, and hint of smoke in the whisky made me think of the Vermont forest and dub this one the Lumberjack Negroni.
The Lumberjack Negroni swung with an orange, Scotch, and apple aroma. Next, a maple and white wine sip fell the briny Scotch and apple flavors that melded into orange ones on the swallow along with an apple and maple finish.

No comments: