Sunday, April 12, 2020

tabu tabu grog

2 oz Plantation OFTD Overproof Rum
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Puree (Passion Fruit Syrup)
1/2 oz Honey Syrup 1:1
1/4 oz Allspice Dram (Hamilton's)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass with crushed ice (Navy Grog ice cone). Garnish with mint, cherry, and spent lime shell (grapefruit twist).

Two Sundays ago, I decided to make a drink that I had spotted on Instagram called the Tabu Tabu Grog. Actually, it was not the drink itself that I saw, but an empty Mai Tai glass with the recipe for the Tabu Tabu Grog by Marie King printed on the side. I recognized the fact that several recipes of Marie King of the Tonga Hut were published in the Minimalist Tiki book, so I searched there and found instructions on how to make the drink (besides the same ingredient list). Overall, the combination reminded me of an egg white-less Voodoo Grog, so I was intrigued as to how the lack of egg white, the rum choice, and minor alterations would affect things.

Once prepared, the Tabu Tabu Grog welcomed the nose with a grapefruit and passion fruit bouquet. Next, grapefruit, lime, and honey swirled on the sip, and the swallow meandered in with burly rum, passion fruit, and all spice flavors.

No comments: