Friday, June 19, 2020

depth charge

1/2 Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Silent Pool)
1/2 Kina Lillet (1 1/2 oz Cocchi Americano)
2 dash Absinthe (1/2 bsp Pernod Absinthe)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I ventured into the 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book and spotted the Depth Charge. I recalled making this drink back in 2008, but I had never written it up here on the blog. I did put it into my LiveJournal though where I noted that I sourced the recipe from Trader Vic's 1947 Bartender's Guide and utilized Junipero Gin, Lillet, and Henri Bardouin Pastis. In this revisit twelve years later, I pulled out orange oil, anise, and juniper aromas. Next, a pear and peach sip presided over a gin, citrus peel, and anise swallow. Given the gin and Lillet in the mix, I decided that this was the closest thing to a Vesper that I could get fully behind.

No comments: