Sunday, June 7, 2020

jim lee cocktail

50% Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeater)
25% Regular Vermouth (3/4 oz Cocchi Sweet)
25% Dry Vermouth (3/4 oz Miro Dry)
2 dash Angostura Bitters
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a lemon twist garnish.
Two Sundays ago, I began flipping through my 1933 reprint of Jack's Manual, and I spotted the Jim Lee Cocktail. I was able to trace this Perfect Martini with two types of aromatic bitters back to Jack Straub's 1914 Drinks. While nothing truly groundbreaking as a Martini variation, it was one that I was completely unfamiliar with. Once prepared, the Jim Lee Cocktail met the nose with a lemon, grape, and orange bouquet. Next, the vermouth's grape dominated the sip, and the swallow shared pine, grape, cherry, and clove flavors.

No comments: