Friday, June 12, 2020

elephant's ear

1/2 oz Gin (1 oz Cascade Mountain)
1/2 oz French Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat Dry)
1/2 oz Dubonnet (1 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I ventured into my 1948 edition of Trader Vic's 1947 Bartender's Guide and spotted the Elephant's Ear Cocktail. The curious name along with the delightful trio of gin, dry vermouth, and Dubonnet Quinquina lured me in, and I was distracted from the fact that I had this same recipe as the better known Salome from the Savoy Cocktail Book shortly after I purchased the new formulation of Dubonnet. Once prepared, the Elephant's Ear met the nose with an orange, pine, and cherry aroma. Next, a plum-like sip led into a juniper, cherry, and herbal swallow.

No comments: