Friday, February 11, 2022

cave-in-rock

2 oz Bourbon (Evan Williams Bonded)
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Grenadine
1/2 oz Don's Spices #2 (1/4 oz Vanilla Syrup + 1/4 oz Allspice Dram (Hamilton's))
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Absinthe (10 drop St. George)

Short shake with ice, strain into a Tiki glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with a mint sprig (omit) and freshly grated nutmeg.

Two Fridays ago at Drink, I had a guest in a party of four ask for a Bourbon and vanilla drink. After stepping away from the group to make the round, I was inspired by the Tiki combination of vanilla and allspice dram called Don's Spices #2 that I discovered in the Nui Nui. The Bourbon Tiki drink the Fiji Mermaid inspired me in a grenadine, lemon, Angostura, and absinthe direction while pineapple juice as a buffer akin to the Pago Pago and others rounded out the recipe. Luckily, that guest was a Tiki fan, so they were pleased; I was concerned since I never checked back if a tropical direction was okay.
When I got home, I was curious to recreate the combination for myself. For a name, I wanted to pay tribute to domestic piracy by dubbing this one after a base camp for pirates on the Ohio River -- namely Cave-in-Rock. Once prepared, the Cave-in-Rock ambushed the senses with a woody spice and fruity bouquet. Next, lemon and berry notes on the sip flowed into Bourbon, pineapple, vanilla, and allspice flavors on the swallow with a clove and anise finish.

No comments: