Monday, February 28, 2022

gastown

1 3/8 oz Mezcal (Peloton de la Muerte)
2 tsp Fernet Branca
2 tsp Cynar
1 tsp Maple Syrup
2 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Mondays ago, I was searching the Kindred Cocktails database when I came across the Gastown created in 2012 by Geoff Robinson at London's Happiness Forgets. The combination of Cynar and maple was one that I had enjoyed before in the Wayfarer, Wooden Ships, and other drinks, so I was curious to see how it would do with Fernet in the mix. Maple previously had mellowed out Fernet in the Follow that Black Rabbit, but that was the only time that I had the two together. In a glass, the Gastown reached the nose with smoke, maple, and menthol vapors. Next, caramel and maple on the sip flowed into mezcal, menthol, and herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: