Friday, February 25, 2022

south american honey bee

1 oz Pisco (Macchu)
1 oz Cachaça (Novo Fogo at work, Cuca Fresca at home)
1/2 oz Honey Syrup 1:1
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice, strain into a single old fashioned glass (work) or a coupe glass (home), and garnish with Angostura Bitters.

Two Fridays ago, a guest at Drink requested a Pisco Sour variation. My first thought was to mix things up by splitting the base with cachaça for those two South American spirits have worked well in my Javari Mai Tai and Loreto Swizzle as well as Jay Kuehner's Cienciano. As a second tweak, I swapped the simple syrup for honey. For a name, I recalled David Embury calling the Jamaican rum Bee's Knees the Honey Bee, and Yvonne's Honey Bee included egg white; therefore, I dubbed it the South American Honey Bee.
The South American Honey Bee welcomed the nose with a honey and allspice bouquet. Next, a creamy, lime, and honey sip buzzed into funky, earthy, and floral flavors on the swallow. My guests after ordered it again for their next round, and I could see why.

No comments: