Saturday, June 11, 2022

trouble with find me

1 1/2 oz Bourbon (Old Grand-Dad Bonded)
1/2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/4 oz Amaro Nonino
1 tsp Demerara Syrup (1/4 oz 1:1)

Stir with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube.
After my bar shift two Saturdays ago, I was desiring something strong and simple to make at home to end my work week. The recipe that I opted for was Trouble Will Find Me by New York City bartender Rafa Garcia Febles in 2014 that he posted on Kindred Cocktails. The concept of a 3:1 Bourbon to Smith & Cross Rum Old Fashioned sounded about right, and it reminded me of Sam Ross' King Kong with Amaro Nonino and Demerara syrup in place of that one's banana liqueur and bitters. In the glass, the Trouble Will Find Me donated a rum funk and caramel nose that led into a caramel sip. Next, Bourbon, funky rum, and orange flavors rounded out the swallow. Overall, it was delightful but I feel that the flavor profile might benefit with a doubling of the Amaro Nonino.

No comments: